Elevation reduces the flood risk to your home and its contents. It often reduces flood insurance premiums, but more importantly, it reduces the physical, financial, and emotional strain that all too often will accompany flooding.
FACTS ON FLOODING:
- Most homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage.
- Just an inch of water can cause costly damage to your property
- Flash floods often bring walls of water 10 to 20 feet high
- Hurricanes are common but often overlooked as causes of flooding
- New land development can increase flood risk, especially if the construction changes natural runoff paths
- Your home has a 26% chance of being damaged by a flood during the course of a 30-year mortgage, compared to a 9% chance of fire.